Ken’s Unified Communications Blog

I had this happen to me a couple weeks ago, today and a co-worker acquired it happens to him, so I shape it ought to be mentioned since nobody on the web appears to have a proper fix for this. I installed a new Lync 2013 Standard Edition server within an existing Lync 2013 environment with a recognized advantage server pool. I created a test account on the new pool and began running through the usual testing scenarios.

All seemed well and fine until we examined federated communications. Puzzling to be sure, since everyone else in the ongoing company was OK. I first checked to see easily could telnet to the normal ports required for edge functionality, and all was good. I then logged onto the advantage to see if there have been any relevant occasions. Multiple incoming contacts on an internal edge from non-internal machines. Before 289 minutes the server received 4 incoming connections on internal edge from non-internal servers. Cause: This may happen if an internal server is not present in the list of internal servers on the Access Edge Server.

  1. MSRP: $5.00
  2. Bust clear of self-imposed shackles that are holding you back
  3. Now you’re prepared to send your first tweet! Post your first tweet by tapping at the very top right
  4. Cut the files
  5. QR Codes
  6. Clients can monitor purchases without login
  7. To the right, click the “Full control” check-box under the “Allow column.”
  8. Employees making factual errors speaking with respect to your organization

If the server is valid, you will need to include it to the list of internal machines on the Access Edge Server. If the server is invalid, you may be under an assault from that server. This left me scratching my head. How do you add a Lync 2013 server to the “set of internal machines”?

I recalled back to the olden times of OCS, where you had to by hand add every valid server name to the advantage, nevertheless, you don’t do that anymore, thanks to the wonder of the Topology Builder. Internet searches brought up several cobweb-covered webpages from the late 2000’s, most of them associated with OCS.

No good. I re-ran Setup on the advantage server, hoping that would result in something and make things all good, but nope. Finally, I decided to restart the Lync Server Access Edge service (throughout a amount of low activity of course). Once it restarted, all my troubles away went. An individual on the new front-end was able to initiate sessions to external users, and the 14402 errors on the edge went away.

My next step was going to be blindly restarting other services accompanied by a last-ditch server reboot. Since that turned out to be unnecessary, if this will save someone from doing a server restart (which would repair the problem too), that’s awesome. So, while Lynx normally will an excellent job of discovering new servers and functioning fine without service restarts or server reboots, this is one situation where it’s not doing that. It seems the Access Edge service caches the set of valid internal machines at service startup and doesn’t renew that cache before next service restart.